Domestic abuse: don’t suffer in silence

Posted By: on 18th October 2018 | Category: Divorce

The press is full of stories of people locked in violent relationships, unsure how to break free. It does take courage, but it can be done. If ever you feel threatened or have been attacked, the first thing to do is call the police who can help immediately as well as investigate whether a crime has been committed. But whether or not the police are involved, a good firm of solicitors can ask the family court to help.

The court has a range of tools it can use to protect you and your children from abusive behaviour. These include non-molestation orders which protect you from behaviour even if it is not criminal, such as calling or texting you, and occupation orders that might exclude a violent or abusive partner from the home. When the court is deciding whether to make an order, they consider a range of factors including the level of threat to any children.

Sadly we have significant experience in protecting victims of domestic abuse. Please contact me/us to discuss the ways that we might be able to help.

For more information, Claire Parsons can be contacted on 01403 210200 or by email at


Brighton Solicitors

Lanes End House,
15 Prince Albert Street,
Brighton BN1 1HY
t. +44 (0)1273 323231
f. +44 (0)1273 820350

Horsham Solicitors

14 Carfax,
West Sussex RH12 1DZ
t. +44 (0)1403 210200
f. +44 (0)1403 241275

Hove Solicitors

79 Church Road,
East Sussex BN3 2BB
t. +44 (0)1273 722532
f. +44 (0)1273 326347

Worthing Solicitors

5 The Steyne,
West Sussex BN11 3DT
t. +44 (0)1903 213511
f. +44 (0)1903 237053